Luigi Manfre' is the Chairperson for Spine of the Executive Committee of the European Society of Neuroradiology-ESNR (2017), he’s part of the European Board of Neuroradiology EBNR for the European School of Neuroradiology ESONR (2017), inaugural Member of the Interventional Spine nCouncil of the American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR, 2019), and ) Member of the Scientific Editorial Board of the European Radiology Journal , official journal of the European Society of Radiology ESR (2021).
He was born in Catania, in 1965, on March the 31st. He attended the Classic High School diploma during the 1983 at the "M. Cutelli" Lyceum, in Catania, graded with the highest score. He got Medical Degree in 1989 and Specialization in Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology in 1993, working as a Researcher from 1993 to 2001 at Palermo University, and as an Interventional Neuroradiologist from 2001 at "Cannizzaro Hpt", in Catania, Italy. From the 2011 to 2016 directed the Haed of Minimal Invasive Spine Therapy Unit, at the "Cannizzaro Hpt" , Catania, Italy. He is professor in charge at the Institute of Radiology of the University of Palermo. He is the Director of the Minimal Invasive Spine Therapy department at the Instituto of Oncology in Mediterranean (IOM)
His main interest is in percutaneous minimal invasive spine surgery using X-ray & CT-guided techniques, a field in which he personally perfomed more than 5000 procedures from 1999, mainly in local anesthesia only, including 3rd generation interspinous spacers, all augmentation procedures for the spine (Vertebro/Kypho/Vesselplasty/Vertebral stent), posterior interspinous spacers, posterior interbody fusion, radioablation, percutaneous discectomy and coblation, pain radicular block, transarticolar and intraarticular fixation, sacroiliac joint fusion, radio- and cryoablation of vertebral tumors.
- He was one of the Founding Member of the European Vertebroplasty Research Team (EVEREST) in 2004.
- He has teached Neuroradiology to medical students at the Medicine Faculty of Palermo, Dentistry Faculty of Palermo University, Radiology, and Neuroradiology at the Medicine Faculty of Catania University.
- He teaches from June 2015 as Invited Professor at the Radiology Institute of the University of Palermo.
- He has been a Boarding Member of the Haed & Neck section of Italian Society of Radiology (2000-2004).
- He has been a Boarding Member of the Italian Association of Neuroradiology (2004- 2006).
- He won 16 international and national prizes.
- He won for three times the best paper of the year prize at the American Society of Spine Radiology (ASSR) in 2007 and 2009, 2012.
- He has been invited speakers in 243 international and national congresses, attending 320 national and international congresses and courses.
In particular, he was invited for a lecture at the following international meetings:
- American Society of Spinal Radiology Meeting- ASSR (2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
- American Society of Neuroradiology - ASNR (2004, 2007, 2018)
- World Federation of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology- WFITN (2004, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019)
- Joint Society of American & European Spine Radiology ASSR-ESNR (2009, 2011)
- European Course of Neuroradiology (1998, 2008, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018).
- Advanced Course of HQ European Course in Spine Intervention (2009, 2011, 2017).
- Groupe de recherche interdisciplinaire sur les biomaterriaux osteo-articulaires injectable GRIBOI (2010, 2013, 2017).
- American Society of Spinal Radiology (ASSR) end European Society of Neuroradiolog (ESNR) joint neeting (2013)
- World Federation of Neuroradiological Societies (WFNRS) (2014).
- Advanced Course of HQ in Spine Neuroradiology, diagnostic and interventional (2016, 2017, 2018).
- Congress of the European Society of Neuroradiology – ESNR (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019).
- 31 st Annual Meeting of the North American Spine Society-NASS (2016)
- 2 nd Qatar Neuroscience Conference (2018)
- XIV Congresso Nacional Sociedade Portuguesa de Neurorradiologia (2018)
- European Congress of Radiology ECR (2019)
- 46° Congres Annuel de la Societè Francaise de Neuroradiologie SFNR (2019)
- European Course in Neuroradiology: Tumors. 15th Cicle, Module 2 (2019).
- Society of Neurointerventional Surgery SNIS (2019).
He is the Editor of the book series “New procedures in spinal interventional neuroradiology” (Springer 2015,2016,2017, 2021). He was one of the Authors of "Spine Imaging" (Educational Symposia, USA) in 2003, 2004, 2013, 2014 as well as "Spine Radiology" (Springer, 2007), "Minimally Invasive Therapy of Spine and Nerves" (Springer 2011), Interventional Neuroradiology of the Spine (Springer 2013), Imaging Spine after treatment (Springer 2013).
He published 232 papers, 55 cited on Medline ® and was one of the Author of the CD-ROM titled “Imaging of the upper cranial nerves”, sponsored by the European Society of Neuroradiology, Lasion Ed, Vol.I e II, Brugge, Belgium 1999, winning the “Magna Cum Laude” prize at the annual ASNR meeting in Atlanta, April 2000.
He organized the following meetings as Director: "Course on Neuroradiology" (Palermo, November 8-10 1994), "Seminars on Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology" (Palermo, May 26-28 1997), "Advanced MRI" Caltanissetta, June 19-20 1998), "1st Italian Course on Spinal Interventional Neuroradiology" (Catania, 21-22 June 2002), "Italian Course of the Haed & Neck Radiological Society" (Catania 12-13 December 2003), "Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery "(Palermo, June 23-24, 2017).
He organized as Director the multidisciplinary international congress “Sicily Spine 2015”, Catania 29-31 october 2015.
He organized as Director the “8th Advanced Course of HQ in Spine Neuroradiology, Diagnostic and Interventional”, Italy, Catania 28 june – 1 july 2017.
He organized as Director “9th Advanced Course of HQ in Spine Neuroradiology, Diagnostic and Interventional”, Malta, 8-10 november 2018.
He organized as Director the “ESNR Spine Full Hands-On Course –Europe”, Malta, 25-27 october 2019. He organized as Director the first “ESNR/ESSR European Course in Spine Radiology, 1st Cycle, 1st Module”, Rome, 22-25 January 2020.
He attended several department, as:
- Dept. Neuroradiology of Ancona General Hospital “Le Torrette”.
-Dept. Neuroradiology of Ospedale Niguarda Ca’Grande di Milano.
- Pediatric Neuroradiological Department, Sick Children Hospital di Toronto, Canada.
- Dept. Neuroradiology of Ospedale S. Maria della Misericordia di Udine.
- Department of Interventional Neuroradiology, University Hospital Strasburgo, Francia.
- Department of Interventional Neuroradiology, Pitié-Salpetriere Hopital, Parigi, Francia.
- Department of Interventional Neuroradiology, University of Leiden, Olanda.
From the 20th of June to the 16th of July 1994 he attended the department of Pediatric Neuroradiology at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, directed by Prof. Derec Harwood-Nash.
He is a Full Member of:
- European Society of Neuroradiology (ESNR)
- Italian Association of Neuroradiology (AIN)
- Italian Association of Radiology (SIRM)
- European Society of Radiology (ESR)
- American Association of Spine Radiology (ASSR)
- World Federation of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology (WFITN)